Only 3 volunteers each week are needed-one to teach with Bill and two to run the athletic activities for the kids. You’ll be staying in the dorm (same as the kids & myself). Volunteer rooms will be at the end of the hallway, so it adds a little distance from the kids. The rooms are configured to accommodate 2 volunteers sharing a suite. There is a small sitting area with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom to share. It’s like your own little cabin….with electricity & air conditioning.
• Setting up activities/getting equipment out & in place
• Refereeing the sports. Monitoring “Olympic Week” with multiple sports/activities. Each team will vie for points based on performance in each during the week. Gold awarded at the end of the week. There will be sand volleyball, Frisbee golf, cage ball, Water Polo & Relays. We’ll probably do some 3 on 3 basketball, flag football etc. With the athletic center and facilities/equipment available…the opportunities are endless!
• Presence when kids are at the athletic center….just in case…it isn’t like chaperoning, but I think we will want someone available in case something happens. Volunteers can take advantage of the workout facilities as well.
• Each week I will need someone that is a certified lifeguard. Also the running convict. Let me know if you can do either one or both.
• Week 3-ROPES course volunteer. Since we are completing the course all in one day, we will break the group into 2 groups of 10. I will work with one group, the other person will work with the second group.
You have the choice to drive yourself to Monmouth College or take the bus with the kids. The bus will pick up & drop off at Naperville North HS. The bus will leave on Sunday(s) by NOON (arriving at MC around 3PM). Drop off on Saturday(s) will be by Noon or sooner.
Last summer, things ran so smoothly for the first go around. I expect it to be even easier this summer. If you’re curious…yes we will have a balloon fight (you’ll have 2 balconies) and yes…the convict is alive & well. We set off a siren while the kids are in leadership training. The agenda has taken this into consideration. The Monmouth PD is in on it….it’s incredible! There is a prison 15-20 minutes from MC and the bus will drive right by it on the way in. Again, unbelievable. The best part is that it happens during the day…not in the middle of the night!
Many thanks! See the sign- up sheet for the volunteer openings. I’m very excited to return to Monmouth College and once again experiencing the opportunities that being on a college campus gives the program.